Search MENU
Back to all Rights Back

Your Rights

Social Housing

What is social housing?

The government provides some houses for people who can’t afford to rent or buy their own house. This is called ‘State housing’ or ‘social housing’. Some State houses are owned and managed by the Housing New Zealand Corporation. Others are owned by community housing providers, like Churches or iwi. Housing New Zealand is the organisation that oversees and arranges maintenance like inspections and repairs for social houses.

Can I live in a state house?

To get a State house, you need to make an application through Work and Income New Zealand (WINZ). WINZ decides who can live in a State house based on who they think most needs somewhere to live. They also do reviews of people currently living in State housing to see who most needs to stay in them.

What is the criteria for applying for social housing?

To get State housing you need to be at least 16 years old. You also have to have a low income and not have too much money or cash assets. You can read more about the criteria and how to apply on the Ministry of Social Development website.

You can also find out more about state housing in the community law manual.

back to top