Search MENU
Back to all Rights Back

Your Rights

Complaining about a Seller or a Service

Complaining about a seller or a service provider

If you have a problem with something you bought, you should first try to fix the problem by talking to the person or shop you bought it from. If this doesn’t work, there are other places you can go to complain about specific problems.

How do I complain about a seller?

If you can’t resolve the issues with the seller or service provider, then you may have to think about taking further steps if the seller is from New Zealand.

There are different processes depending on the type of dispute you have. For general consumer complaints up to $15000 (or $20000 if everyone agrees), you’ll need to bring the case to the Disputes Tribunal. For cars bought from a trader, you’ll need to take the case to the Motor Vehicle Disputes Tribunal.

You can also bring the complaint to the Commerce Commission or any of the service’s association. If you’re uncertain, give YouthLaw or your local community law centre a call.

How do I complain about unsafe goods or services?

If you’re buying goods or services from a business, the goods or services should be safe. Some children’s products even have specific safety standard regulations that need to be followed.

If you think that a good or service you have purchased is unsafe, you should complain to the person you bought it from, or the person who made it. If you got hurt because of a product or service (or you nearly got hurt), you can also complain to the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment.

You may be entitled to a refund if the item or service is faulty.

back to top